Friday, September 27, 2013

5 Questions with Catherine Doty




Catherine will read a selection of her poems on October 3, 2013 at 7:30pm as part of the NJ Literary Artists Fellowship Showcase.

The reading will take place at
in the Chase Room
of the Madison Public Library
39 Keep Street
Madison, NJ 07940
Click here for directions


There is a suggested donation of $10. All tickets will be available at the door on the evening of the readings. No advanced ticket sales.
  1. Where do you find inspiration for your poems?
    My poems almost always begin when an image or situation or scrap of language (usually from long past)  sticks with me and gives me a certain kind of unrest. It's almost like having a song run through my head--sort-of annoying--but it gets me curious enough to sit down and start digging.
  2. You are a cartoonist and have a book out call “Just Kidding.” How did you get involved with cartooning? Do you doodle daily?
    Though I no longer earn my living designing and illustrating publications, I draw all the damn day. I draw all over the quizzes and tests I give my sixth-graders, I have drawings all over my classroom. I chase other teachers around and ask them if they need any drawings. Insufferable! Usually my drawings are quick, slangy sketches on the white board, but sometimes I have beautiful paper and some time to spend and I'll work on one piece for hours. I've always got to have something to do--I am a terrible relaxer--and constant cartooning is something that's always been an excellent attention-getting-and-stress-relieving practice for me. I love it, I love it, I gotta do it.
  3. We read that you worked as a cook and a bartender while attending Upsala College. Is there a crazy story about working in the restaurant industry that you can share with us?
    Oh, if the salad bar at Dodd's Townhouse could speak! I try not to revisit those robust evenings spent dressed as a French maid and doggedly trying to flambe a soggy duck.
  1. Who is your favorite poet and why?
    My favorite poet is so many poets these days. And I have many, many favorite poems.
  2. What movie could you watch over and over again?
    Christopher Guest's Waiting for Guffman.

    To learn more about Catherine, visit our website

    You can also find additional information on our website about the Literary Artist Fellowship program.

No comments:

Post a Comment