Tuesday, November 15, 2011

5 Questions With Anne Negri

The family friendly FORUM series of readings continues with Anne Negri's WITH TWO WINGS.

This reading will be held at The Growing Stage in Netcong, NJ on Saturday, December 3 at 1:00pm and again on that same day at 7:00pm at Fairleigh Dickinson University.

Anne Negri is currently living in Evanston, Illinois working as a full-time drama teacher in the Evanston/Skokie School District 65, teaching 4th-8th grade students. She is a graduate of Arizona State University’s M.F.A. Theatre for Youth program. With Two Wings is her first full-length play, but other works include The Dancing Dog! and Faithful Adaptation. In addition to teaching and playwriting, Anne is a dramaturg, film buff, and puppet enthusiast.

1. What inspired you to write With Two Wings?
The original idea for With Two Wings came from realistic relationships in my immediate family. However, the world of the play, with humans who have wings and the ability to fly, came to me in a dream. I remember waking up and running to find a piece of paper to write down the ideas. I was also inspired by one of my favorite Greek myths, Icarus and Daedalus.

2. What do you love most about being a playwright?
There are two things that I really love about being a playwright. The first is that I love writing creatively, thinking of new stories that have never been told before. Second, I love collaborating with a creative team who have a passionate vision of how my plays can come to life.

3. What advice would you give to young playwrights?
Don’t stop writing creatively! At a certain point in high school and college, I was writing so many academic papers that I completely lost sight of the creative writer in me until my late 20s. My advice is to embrace and share your creative stories with others and to seek out local organization that might support your work.

4. What is your favorite play or book and why?
This is a really difficult question because I have so many favorites. One of my favorite books is The Little Prince. I’ve read, studied, and taught it in English and in French. I love the Prince as our protagonist and the strange journey he embarks upon. I think the story appeals to both adults and children in equal measure.

5. Given the choice between cake, cookies or candy, which would you choose?
Unfortunately for my teeth, I love candy. I love chocolate, licorice, caramel, and Lemonheads most of all!

Click here to purchase a ticket to see WITH TWO WINGS at The Growing Stage.

Click here to purchase a ticket to see WITH TWO WINGS at FDU.

You can also find additional information on our website about the entire
FORUM reading series.

$10 per reading
$25 for a FORUM pass (attend all 23 readings in the series)
Children attend free (with a paying adult) to the December 3 reading at Fairleigh Dickinson.
WITH TWO WINGS is appropriate for the entire family
.

No comments:

Post a Comment